Friday, July 1, 2022

Something to Realize

    Haven’t typed out a blog post in a while.

    If you don’t know, I graduated from 8th grade 2 weeks ago. There was so much happening on that day in the length of a half day at school. We watched as some did speeches, got our certificates, took our pictures with each other, and left. The day was really special for me, for later in the day, I had a conversation on Discord with one of my classmates. I thanked her for everything: for always being by my side, for always being someone I felt comfortable around during dark times I had to go through (like the friend group drama around the start of May), for helping me out throughout the year with a lot of things. She deserves the world, really.

    The day after, however, was the last day of school, but this time it was really something important for all of us. It’s not like we could just wait a few months and then see every one of us at school, a lot of us were moving or transferring schools because we’re entering high school. Everyone got emotional, savoring every second, spending final moments with each other in what would feel like forever. I, on the other hand, didn’t really do that, though I wish I did. All I did was play Super Smash Bros. Ultimate with a few classmates using the Switch that I brought, and just promote a Discord server I made to bring the whole community of us students together. In the end, I was laughed at, the server still remained small, and I was extremely embarrassed.

    I later hosted an online party and hoped for it to be a really wholesome event filled with the community of students in my grade, but it was just one of my best friends and I and we didn’t do much. Though we did enjoy our conversation, I really wanted a lot more, for I planned on, at one point, taking out my guitar and performing and singing Self Control by Frank Ocean to really evoke our feelings. I wanted to see all my classmates watching and their reaction, and even for them to feel proud of me for setting everything up and showing care for them.

    The day later I announced in the server that I’m giving up on it for a while since it was barely growing, expressing how I feel. Luckily, I gained a lot of support and advice from my classmates in the server. The server later grew a bit and had a bit of activity. I was glad that happened.

    Despite all of that and even the fact that I’m a few weeks into my summer break, I still can’t stop thinking about my classmates, the school year, and the memories we made during that time period. 2 days ago my mom was driving my sister and I home after we went somewhere, and on our way we passed the school, and I started feeling a bit emotional. The next day, I had a counselor come to my house, and during the counseling I looked straight ahead and would see a hanging letters banner that was hung up 2 weeks ago for a party for my graduation and still left there. The banner said “CONGRATS GRAD” and it caused me to think about the school year memories yet again. It’s just crazy to think about, it all feels like it went by too quickly, it all felt like a movie. I look back at a tweet I made about the first day of school starting soon, and that first day didn’t feel too far away.


    After all of that, I’ve figured that the reason it felt so close, yet so far, is because we never let it cross our minds. All we did was endure everything that happened and continue to move on and roll with it, the only thing motivating us is, well, us.

    You all can go off and continue to hate school for all the work thrown at you that really pressures you and stresses you out, I do too, I’ve been there at one point during the school year. But just realize that you still have the hope, the motivation to keep going, knowing that you’ll be around people your age learning with you. You get to spend time with them, and you’re forming memories while you’re at it. So, you may as well appreciate it while it’s lasting.

-Anthony “Salteh” S. • • •

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sixteen

      Today, I turn 16. Today was a fine day.     Once again, today felt pretty normal, and I'm honestly ok with it being that way. Had ...