Tuesday, February 22, 2022

The World is Messed Up.

  Every now and then, there's going to be horrible things going on with this world. We'll hear about it when we're enjoying our meal at our nearby fast food restaurant and the news channel is playing on the TV there, or when we so happen to come across a post about it on our Twitter feed, really anywhere. Besides that, we'll all go through personal problems ourselves. But sometimes, so much of it just piles up, and things just feel... broken.

  Without a doubt, I've been feeling a bit of that, and I definitely felt that a few weeks ago. What was going on for me weeks ago? Well, there's a lot. Here's some that would come to mind:
  • A classmate treating me like crap for absolutely no reason
  • A bit of family problems
  • Test weeks
  • Having to cancel a video
  But out of all of them, there was one that really made life feel way harder-- a heavy one that added a lot more weight to my problems.

  One day on Twitter I quote retweeted a joke someone else made, highlighting how offensive I felt their joke was, for I felt it was disrespecting a certain music artist represented in it. Then after I had school. On my way home, I checked Twitter as I always did, and I had tons of notifications. When I checked, I immediately felt mentally damaged. Several users I didn't know started targeting me, teasing me, liking each others' responses to continue ganging up on me, and just all out being rude to me. I just felt super worried and stressed. When I tried responding, they just continued attacking me. Even when it got to a point where I was feeling so beaten up, I let them know, but they didn't care, they still treated me like a joke. So I just had to go private and started venting for a week and turning off notifications to avoid further disruption. I was seriously feeling so beaten up, wishing I was mentally stronger.

  Now, things have gotten easier, for today was also a day off from school, so I had the whole house to myself. Probably the only personal problem I've been having is not making the music I'm working on sound like what I expected, but it's ok, it's not a big deal. But anyways, later in the day, after I had lunch, I used my computer upstairs. It was all fine and normal, until I checked Discord. Once I checked the general channel of a friend group server I'm in, I heard something super shocking.

  Y'see, the original members that made up the friend group (including me) all met from a friendly server that we all met each other in. Someone worth noting in the friendly server is someone who I'll just call "Astro." Anyways, coming to the present, when I checked the general channel of the private small friend group server, someone let us know that Astro (who we were obviously familiar with) announced in the deep thoughts channel of the friendly server that he's a a member of a political activist group in Canada and still is while Canada's prime minister, who now became the dictator of the country, is taking control of ALL media going to the world right now, which means YouTube videos showing their government doing bad things are now gone.

  Let's rewind back to the political activist group part. So, his group is now planning on peacefully protesting on foot to Parliament. Meanwhile, the police are making sure they will be easily stopped and they couldn't be helped. Because of this, he's getting worried that he may be arrested soon, not being able to talk to us.

  I really don't want to get into anything political. I really don't find political things interesting, and I don't feel like being involved in any of it, but this is really serious. Even more serious, Astro's brother committed suicide due to the government not allowing him to work, making him lose his home and end up taking his life on the floor of a homeless shelter.

  This genuinely has me worried. Years ago, I was just all chill, and I remember talking to Astro in the friendly server, talking about how I record sheet music to memorize songs on piano, since we were both really experienced with piano. It was fun and enjoyable, loved to see someone else that I could form a friendship with because of a rare talent. Now years later, I'm worrying about him and his family due to everything that's been going on with not just them, but everyone in their country.

  The world's messed up folks. Who knows what we'll have left soon.

-Anthony "Salteh" S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sixteen

      Today, I turn 16. Today was a fine day.     Once again, today felt pretty normal, and I'm honestly ok with it being that way. Had ...